Being a food blogger and that too from Calcutta , how can i resist from making a Fish curry for which “THE CITY OF JOY ” is known for .
And here i have tried the most renowned recipe of Calcutta, the mustard fish curry.
- Hilsa / Bhetki – 250 gms (4 piece).
- garlic- 8 cloves .
- ginger- 1/4 part.
- turmeric- 1/2 tbp.
- salt – to taste
- sugar – 1/2 tbp.
- yellow mustard seed (paste)- 1 tbp.
- black mustard seed (paste) – 1 tbp .
- 5 spice mix ( fenugreek seed , nigella seed , cumin seed , black mustard seed, fennel seed) – 1/4 tbp
- green chilli – 4 nos
- lime- 1 nos .
- poppy seed (paste)- 1 tbp
- mustard oil
- black onion seeds – 1/4 tbp
*Soak the must seeds as well as poppy seeds for half an hour at least before preparation .
- In a grinder , blend the soaked yellow and black mustard seeds along with garlic cloves , ginger , turmeric , salt .
- once blend add 2 tbp of mustard oil and 1/2 lime and keep aside.
- In the same way blend and make poppy seed paste and keep aside.
- now heat up a pan , add tbsp of mustard oil.
- once the oil is hot add the black onion seed , ginger – garlic paste and saute well.
- add 2 tbsp of mustard paste and saute for few minutes.
- add the water and put the fish in and let it boil.
- check the seasoning and add 1/2 tbsp of sugar
- if needed garnish with lime and watercress.