As it is said ,”everything tastes better wrapped in a puff pastry”. we have tried making it and believe me it was really good and the layers have come out really well .
Time Taken – 3 hours ( with the lamination process and the filling )
servings – 40 -45 pcs ( standard recipe )
- For Dough
- Refined flour – 1 kg.
- Salt – 10 gm.
- Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon.
- Warm water – 500 ml.
- margarine – 250 gm .
2. For Filling
- Potato – 4-5 nos (boiled and mashed )
- onion- 2 nos
- shredded cabbage – 100 gms .
- carrot – 40 gms
- chicken – 450 gms ( boneless cut into cubes ).
- cumin powder -1/2 tbsp
- coriander powder- 1/2 tbsp
- whole spice powder (garam masala)- 1/2
- turmeric- 1/2 tbsp
- salt – to taste
- black pepper- 1-2 tbsp
- red chilli powder- as your taste buds
- green chillies – fine chopped 3-4 nos
- cumin seeds- 1/2
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
For The Filling :
- In a pan heat some oil , and add cumin seeds .
- once the seeds starts to crackle add chopped onions . let it become golden brown in colour .
- Now add all the spice powders and let it cook .
- now add the chicken cubes and let it cook properly .
- add all the veggies as well as the mashed potatoes and check the seasoning .
For The Dough :
- Sieve the flour and make a well .
Into it add pinch of salt , lime juice and moisture to make a soft dough.
- Once the dough is made cover it with a wet cloth and let it rest for 10 – 15 minutes .
- Now the most important part comes i,e its lamination which will help to show the layers once baked . And the result is really amazing.
- NOW from the round dough itself just flatten from the north ,south, west , east direction making it a star shaped
- now in the center put a cube of margarine or unsalted butter and fold it like an envelope .
- once done flatten it in a rectangle shape , making sure it is leveled on each sides
- rest it for 30 minutes and then again lengthen it in form of a rectangle and make a book fold like given below .Repeat this step 4 time each after half an hour interval , taking out from the fridge .
- Now once the dough and the filling is ready , for the last time flatten the dough in a rectangular shape and cut into square of equal sizes and put the filling on each sheets . as shown below .
put the egg wash on the edge and fold the sheets and put on top as well.
preheat the oven at 200 degree celsius and bake for at least 40 minutes . and your pastry is ready .